• Physical Digital's advanced scanning systems are a key facilitator, providing extreme accuracy and a seamless service in the production of CAD models of our aircraft. The Company's service has always been fast, cost effective and of the highest quality. We look forward to a long and fruitful association with Tim and his team.

    Author, Dick – Aviation Company
  • Each and every time we use their services their work is completed on time and to a very high accuracy. Their reports are easy to understand and their team is always available should any further report explanation be required. I personally have built an excellent working relationship with the people at PD and will continue to work closely with them when their services are required.

    Author, Mark – Composites Company
  • Many thanks for all the scanning design and project management. Physical Digital really excelled to bring the project forward and on to completion. The knowledge and understanding of what we needed allowed us to replicate real life like food portions with accuracy and exactly what the customer required. The project is now complete and in daily use producing thousands of meals.

    Author, Tom – Tool Company
  • GOM UK have worked with Physical Digital since their inception. They have proven themselves a trustworthy and high quality provider of measurement services and we are proud to have them as a service partner.

    Author, Andrew – GOM UK Ltd
  • Many Thanks for your efforts on this project, greatly appreciated by us all here at Delta. We have been impressed with the quality and turn around speed you have been able to provide.

    Author, David - Motorsport Company
  • The help we received from Physical Digital was invaluable in helping us to meet our tight deadline for the start of the season.

    Author, Drew - West Surrey Racing
  • 100% of our customers say that the data that we deliver is of a high standard - thanks!

    Author, All respondents to our recent customer feedback survey
  • 81% of our clients rate our overall service as 'excellent' (the other 19% describe us as 'good').

    Author, All respondents to our recent feedback survey